Oven Braised Artichokes With Garlic And Thyme
Artichokes braised in a garlic and thyme infused marinade.
- ¼ cup/60ml extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup/60ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Peel from one of the lemons
- ¼ cup/60ml good quality white wine or water
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 small garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 4 large artichokes
- 2 Tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large roasting pan, combine all the ingredients except the artichokes.
- Pull off and discard the thick outer leaves of the artichokes by bending them back and pulling them down toward the stem (Remove leaves that are dark green, but do not remove leaves that are green at the top and yellow on the bottom).
- Snip off the tops of the leaves (at the point where the green and yellow come together) and trim around the base of the artichoke heart to smooth the sides and peel the stem.
- Cut in half and scoop out the fuzzy choke with a small spoon. As each artichoke heart half is completed, add to the pan with the braising liquid, turning them to coat completely and prevent browning.
- Cover the pan with a lid or parchment lined aluminum foil and cook until the hearts are tender when pierced with a knife, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, uncover, and let the artichokes cool in the braising liquid.
- Garnish with a chopped parsley, serve warm, or refrigerate and serve chilled.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE