Italian Winter Greens Stracciatella Soup
A brothy garlicky soup with strands of eggs and winter greens.
For the Soup:
- 2 cups/470ml garlic broth (recipe below)
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 cup/67g winter greens like kale or chard, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon/15g freshly grated aged raw milk Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
For the Garlic Broth:
- 6 cups/ about 1 ½ liters of fresh filtered or spring water
- 1 small head of garlic
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 6 fresh thyme stems
- 2 small bay leaves
- A few sprigs of parsley
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Make the Broth:
- Peel and smash the garlic cloves. Add the peeled garlic cloves, fresh herbs, salt and pepper to the water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, then lower to a simmer. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Store extra in fridge for up to a week.
Make the Soup:
- In a small saucepan, bring the 2 cups of broth to a simmer.
- Add the chopped winter greens and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until just wilted and softened.
- In a measuring cup, combine the egg, grated cheese, 1 teaspoon of water and a pinch of salt and pepper, whisk vigorously.
- Gently pour the egg mixture into the broth, whisking constantly. Whisk quickly for fine ribbons, or more slowly for thicker ones.
- Remove saucepan from heat and let sit covered for 1 to 2 minutes until egg has set.
- Ladle the soup into a bowl, drizzle with olive oil if desired and serve with more Parmesan on the side.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE